Served during the following dates: 1935-07-23;1939-05-18;1947-12-11;1951-04-26;1955-05-25;1959-09-01
BAKER, CHESTER CLEVELAND. farmer, fox breeder, and government fox inspector; b 14 April 1886 in Margate, son of Richard Herbert Baker and Evelyn England Tuplin; m. first 15 July 1911 Ethel M. Johnson, and they had six children, Donald R, Mildred, Gladys, Audrey, Dorothy, and Marjorie; m. secondly 25 July 1934 Winnifred Gertrude Thompson, and there were no children; United; d. 22 July 1967 in Margate.
Baker, a Liberal, was first elected to the Legislative Assembly in the general elector or 1935 for 4th Prince. He was re-elected in the general elections of 1939, 1947, 1951, 1955, and 195c. He was defeated in the general election of 1943. In 1949 he was appointed Minister of Agriculture and remained in that position until 1955.
Baker received his primary education at the school in Margate, and later attended the Truro Agricultural College. He was a farmer and fox breeder. From 1925 until 1929, Baker held the position of fox inspector for the Dominion Department of Agriculture. In 1929 he was elected to the board of directors of the Canadian Fox Breeders Association and served as president for one year. Baker acted as a superintendent of Margate Sunday School at the United Church, and was a member of the Mount Zion Masonic Lodge, Prince Edward Chapter No. 12. A hockey fan, Baker donated trophies to the North Shore and South Shore hockey leagues. Chester Baker died 22 July 1967 as a result of an accident with highway maintenance equipment.
Baker’s father was a native Islander while his mother was born in Boston. Ethel Baker, the daughter of Rev. W. E. Johnson who resided in both Kensington and Calgary, was born in 1883 and died in 1923. Winnifred Baker, the daughter of H. D. Thompson, was born in Margate.
References: CPG I960 p. 670; History of Margate pp. 37, 61; PEI Journal of the Leg. Assembly 1955, p. 2; Guardian 24 July 1967; Maritime Advocate and Busy Fast March 1943. January 1950. Guide to abbreviations
Photograph courtesy of PEI Public Archives and Records Office,
Reference Number Acc3177/64